It is critical to come up with the right price for painting a building whether you are bidding or not. If your rates are too low, you will not make any profits, and if your rates are again too high, there is a strong possibility that you’ll miss out on the job. One must know the final price you quote includes the cost of materials, wages scale, and other expenses incurred.
Factors to consider when assessing a painting job:
- Appraise the job. Visit the project site and evaluate whether it will be a quick job or a long lasting job. One can achieve this through studying the surface texture of the walls, how high the walls are, see whether there is the presence of indoor built fixtures and whether there are some obstructions such as hose mounts.
- Calculating the square footage this helps one to achieve the most accurate assessment of paint amounts required to complete fully the task given, one may get the total square footage using the basic formula which is
Where by one finds the: length by adding the length of all four walls together and subtracting 20 and 15 square feet per door and window respectively also this step applies for the width.
- Calculating the paint needs. This calculation depends on the square footage of the architectural plan and plan of using two coats of paints. According to research, it shows that a gallon of paint will cover approximate 300 to 350 for textured or rough walls, and 350 to 400 square feet on the smooth surface. You also need to include an extra 10% of the total paint used, as wastage.
- Factoring the cost of consumables. Consumable costs include all the expenses to be included in the painting job such as the cost of items like masks, booties, paper painters tape, cleaning supplies, and other disposables.
- The labor supply this includes both the non-skilled semi-skilled and skilled workforce in that a very experienced artist completes the job quickly and efficiently done then a new painter.
- Factoring in the indirect cost incurred. If it is an organization or a business entity, you must have a definite overhead amount you need to account for and include it in labor cost.
- Taking into consideration current market rates for the area and client base. Establishing the market rates should involve a professional where who tries to figure out applicable exchange rates by using the following methods: the cost of living analysis index, which is evaluated by assessing the amount of time you need as a professional and finding out what the painters in the area charge by requesting a ballpark quote. Also, remember contractors will bid competitively that’s not higher than the competition unless when other factors are included such as high quality which makes a marked superiority.
- Take note that experience counts a lot. An experienced painter is more expensive than someone who is new to the market. These rates vary because the qualified individual familiarized with the job and he knows how to handled challenges when they arise and how to avoid obstacles.
Humans have a natural tendency to improve the quality of their living spaces, and this instinct simply “forces” us to continuously invest in renovation and home remodeling. Changes and improvements can be aesthetic in nature, or they can have a more practical foundation, but both of these reasons will result in better living conditions and better appearances. Paint is an element that is mostly aesthetic, but a good coat of paint is necessary for many reasons, not just because of the visual appeal that a beautiful color will give to the interior and exterior of a certain home. That is why it is often hard to find a suitable paint contractor, and this sensitive task can be performed only by reliable and professional companies or individuals.
Since paint contractors are so precious for the quality of life and the overall appearances of a house, it is important to go through the process of hiring a contractor with a serious attitude and with the idea that you must try to find the best possible solution. The first step when looking for a professional painter for your home is to check with your friends, family, or colleagues, and to ask them if they have had any recent experiences with painting jobs. Word of mouth is still the best method of advertising and promotion, and your loved ones should be free to give you an honest opinion and to recommend only those professionals who have satisfied their criteria. Also, online reviews and client testimonials are a good way to go, but it is important to look for local contractors and to read recommendations about nearby professionals.
Once you obtain the necessary information and have a few names that look like potential candidates, it is time to compare them and to see what they offer. It is best to contact them directly and to ask about the price and quality of their work, requesting that they supply something that could be called a bid. They should list their conditions and prices, and then you can easily see which option offers the most and who “goes to the next round.” The next step is the visit to your home, and you should bring the contractor to the site, where he can check everything about the place, and you will have the chance to explain your ideas and preferences.
Besides verifying their licenses and qualifications, you should ask the contractor a lot of questions about the job that they will perform. Details are important in this step, simply because they prevent confusion, and there is no room for misunderstandings, which can be costly and frustrating if they appear later during the work. For example, you should precisely determine the dates when the work will start and when it will finish, and the working hours of the painters. Also, you should know about the type of paint that will be used, how many coats will be applied, how detailed will be the preparation of the walls, and so on.